Under what conditions can one apply for citizenship after three years as a permanent resident?

If a person received their green card based on marriage, and they have remained married to the person during the three years after having received the green card, then they may apply for citizenship based on marriage. The application process remains the same, but at the citizenship interview, the applicant must be prepared to show proof of current marriage and residence with his or her U.S. citizen spouse.