Applying for a Green Card if you have TPS

While most TPS holders can only apply for a green card from outside the U.S., there is a way around that if you have been granted Advanced Parole. Advance Parole allows you to travel outside the United States and return. Because you are considered to be entering legally, you are “paroled” in. Having been paroled in allows the immigrant to adjust if they have a pending family based petition, or employment-based petition.

Consular Processing Outside the United States

If you are found to be ineligible to file for an Adjustment of Status within the US, then you have no option but to leave the U.S. and file for permanent residency from outside the U.S. If you have a prior order of deportation, then your case becomes more complex and you will have to file for a waiver with the U.S. consulate.